About Me

My photo
Certified PreK-6. Masters in Child Development. Advocate for play, teacher & children choice, & the family's voice. Believe in volunteering as social justice.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

When I Was Little: #Kinderchat Blog Challenge, Day 4

Today's #Kinderchat Blog Challenge's prompt asks the age old question, "when you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?"

Do you expect me to say teacher?  I bet you do, it would only seem natural since I have been working with children from the time I was 12.  Honestly? I'm not sure I ever really wanted to be a teacher until undergrad and even then I wavered during student teaching.  It's a lot of commitment, picking a label to define one's self! And yet, here I am, teaching...but with my broader definition of teaching.

Anyways, I am meandering.  As a young child, I wanted to be Madonna.  I spent hours dancing around and singing, "I am a cheerio girl".  When I was 10, I wanted to be a novelist.  I even asked for (and received!) a typewriter for Christmas.  In 8th grade, I wanted to be a radiologist for all of a year. I can't even remember why; I know we took one of those fill in the bubble aptitude tests and mine said I should work in the medical field, but I hate blood.  In 11th grade, we were required to take the ASVAP (military entrance exam...very small rural school) alongside the ACT and I scored very high and began to receive endless recruitment calls...thought it would save me from making a career decision, but quickly decided that I'm not the military type of girl.


And then I graduated and needed to declare a major so I went with education.  And I still felt a little unsettled, right up until I found the masters program at Erikson and realized that there was a broad range of things I could do in the best interest of young children and families that wasn't necessarily teaching.

So there you have it, how I accidentally became, and enjoy, being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment